Sunday, September 2, 2007

Begin Right, Build Right

Hello all! I hope everyone had a great, long weekend! I thoroughly enjoyed mine.

I went to Vegas, and during my trip, stumbled across this amazing "green house".

Originally, I wanted to discuss bamboo furniture and flooring this week, but I instead came across an exciting topic Sunday afternoon while driving back to my parents house after shopping. Huge houses caught my attention, and I noticed that these homes were part of a new development, "Madera, A Living Smart Neighborhood by Pardee Homes". A sign confirmed that model homes were open for viewing, so I thought I'd take a look.

I entered the office and a Pardee Homes representative greeted me with a "hello" and a bottle of water. He then proceeded to explain the Living Smart Program that has spectators buying homes in Madera, that Pardee Homes is a home builder in Sacramento, Southern California and Las Vegas, and directed me around the Pardee Homes Web site.

After my meet and greet, I was ecstatic to see what this Living Smart Program entailed. Upon entering one of the model homes, a sign outside the door said, "Living Smart! This model home demonstrates what LivingSmart means, both inside your home and around your community."

Once inside, the entire house was green! Green rugs, bamboo flooring, green curtains, green paint, bamboo plants, green dishes, everything! Even the modeled toothbrushes in the kids room were lime green. But besides the green decor and design, small signs explained that the Living Smart program included four overall concepts or features: EnergySmart, EarthSmart, HealthSmart, and WaterSmart.

According to the home builders pamphlet and Web site, EnergySmart features include "choices that reduce energy consumption, possibly lowering energy bills."
In example--using energy-saving windows and a tankless water heater.

EarthSmart features include "choices that encourage conservation or use recycled or sustainable resources."
In example--using low VOC paint and carpeting made from recycled materials.

HealthSmart features include "choices that support healthy indoor air and water quality."
In example--using low-formaldehyde attic insulation and a high-efficiency air filtration system.

And WaterSmart features include "choices that minimize water consumption to conserve this precious resource."
In example--using low-flow faucets and shower heads.

After taking my environmentally house tour, I thought, too, what better way to introduce decor and interior design, than to begin explaining that the structure of a home in itself can be eco-friendly, along with the power, water and air inside. And with healthy indoor air and water, as Pardee Homes includes in their Living Smart Program, you'll have more energy to decorate and design your home!

So until next week, take a look at my slide show, relax and Live Smart!

1 comment:

kittyKat said...

This article is so great! I’m glad people are trying to make changes for the better. That house sounds very cool, and the Living Smart Program in general is a very clever idea. Hopefully one day we’ll all be Living Smart! I just love to hear new home decorating ideas. My favorite decorating show has to be Design Star. The designers are so creative and I love to see what they can come up with. Save yourself the hassle of spending a ton of money on professional advice and just kick back, relax, and get some great tips while watchin the show. You can also check it out at: www.hgtv.com/designstar. There are only 2 finalists left and for this last challenge they will be heading to Hawaii! It airs Sunday, Sept. 9th @ 9pm, don’t miss it! Also, don’t forget to vote for your favorite designer after the show to determine who gets their own show on hgtv. I work w/them so just wanted to give u the inside scoop! Who are you going to vote for?