Thursday, September 20, 2007

Save the Earth in Your Sleep

As a full time student, family member, friend and worker, sleep is but a nice thought at times. When I do get the chance to take a "power" nap, or a good, full night's rest, I like to do so comfortably. And what better way to sleep and feel good while catching my Zzzz's? Organic sheets.

I recently took a stroll down Target's bed and bath aisles and came across organic sheets in a bag, ranging from $39-59. The bag said that the sheets contained/were:

- 100% organically grown cotton fiber
- ecofriendly dyes
- 250 thread count
- produced in an IMO certified facility

So, I thought I'd give the sheets a try and bought a set-- the white one to be exact. Let me tell you, even though they're only 250 thread count, they are extremely comfortable. After my firsts night sleep on them, I can honestly say that I woke up after 8 straight hours of sleep, feeling great. I guess knowing that I contributed to the environment, even if it was through sheets, made my sleep that much better.

But back to the sheets, or more importantly, organic cotton...


Organic fibers, or one specifically, organic cotton is one of the most popular fibers out in the eco-friendly market today. Not only can organic cotton be made into sheets, but other products such as clothing, towels and makeup removal pads.

According to the
Organic Trade Association
:
"In 2003, organic fiber sales in the United States grew by 22.7 percent over the previous year, to reach $85 million, according to the Organic Trade Association's 2004 Manufacturer Survey. Sales of organic women's clothing during that period grew by 33.6 percent, while organic infant's clothing and diaper sales grew 20.5 percent. Sales of organic men's clothing grew by 11 percent, and children's and teens clothing sales grew by 15.8 percent. Meanwhile, sales of organic sheets and towels grew by 17.9 percent, and those for organic mattresses and pillows increased 8.3 percent."

Grown in soil that reduces toxic pesticides, organic cotton has a low-impact on the environment, but adds to the large production impact for everyday, eco-friendly items.

So, sleep well, sleep organically!

No comments: