Friday, October 12, 2007

Small Green Flare: Soy Candles

With all the hype on Target going green with numerous products, I had to mention them again for a second time to compliment my organic sheets.

Soy is all around us-- soy milk, soy beans, soy clothing. Recently, I was doing my usual drive by at Target and decided to browse the dollar bins at the front of the store. And what did I find? Method Soy Candles for a buck! It was quite amazing. I then decided that I'd browse the home section and came across bamboo candles that are made out of 90% vegetable wax. I bought a few of the method candles and a bamboo candle, and I must say that I'm pleased with their burning abilities and scents. Plus, what better way decorate any room in your house than with candles-- simple, right?


Why burn soy wax instead of regular candles that contain paraffin wax?
According to Greenspace Candles, soy wax is non-toxic, burns cleaner and longer, originates from a renewable source and is biodegradable. Paraffin wax, on the other hand, contains petroleum. Petroleum smoke contains carcinogenic toxins and produces black soot, is not a renewable source and contributes to polluting the air and global warming.

Besides adding a green flare to a room in your home, burning soy candles is not only better for the environment, but better for you. For more information on smoke and soot produced from candles made out of petroluem,check out the report that the Environmental Protection Agency produced on the reduction of soot.

Burn wisely, happy decorating!

No comments: